Block 2 is done! It didn't come without its problems tho! Histo was over epithelial cells, connective tissue, cartilage and bone. I had a good background on that stuff from undergrad and wasn't too worried about it during the weeks prior, but the night before the exam, I spent about 5 hours studying the material and then started practice questions to gauge my understanding... this is where it all went downhill. I was missing half of the questions and I started to lose it.
I had studied for so long and expected for my scores to be at least at 75% or higher on the practice questions, but they weren't. Long story short, I had a panic attack. Never had one before in my life and I would love to never have one ever again! It was bad. I could feel my heart pounding out of my chest and just had this horrible feeling in my gut. Well, all I could do was sleep, so I did (after laying there for about an hour or more). Woke up in the morning and did the questions again. I was doing better, but not near as well as I expected to be doing. Went to the exam and had no idea how it would go. Finished the exam in 20 minutes and pressed the "proceed" button and waited for my score to show up. Not only did I pass, but I passed with a fairly high mark which I was sooo happy about!
Then comes Anatomy. I knew my stuff for the lab exam the day before (my grade didn't reflect it). So, I studied a little for embryo and went in to take it. Now is when it all went downhill. I started to blank. My mind just went blank! I couldn't answer the easiest questions I was asking myself to come up with an answer... and to make matters worse, the test was HARD! To put it in perspective: the average for the lab exam in our class of 97 was a 57% (passing is 75%); the average for the whole block was a 70.3% (once again, failing is <75%, and 56 of 97 failed the block). So, I am blanking on information I know on a crazy hard exam... not a good combo. Finished going thru the test once and answered everything I left blank the first time and those that I flagged, then I decided that I would go back thru and check my answers with about 10 mins left. I started and changed about 3 of the first 10... several questions that I changed, I asked myself, "What was I thinking when I answered with this choice??" Then, I ran out of time before I could get past 25 (of 100). My heart skipped a beat or two and the score showed up... My fears were confirmed. It wasn't good.
Averaging that score with my first block (which I did good on) puts me in an ok position. I can bring it up easily and (technically) still make an A in the class... now, that is a little bit of stretch because that would mean I would have to do well on the lab exam which seems to be impossible to do (ok, I know its not impossible, but its dang hard!)
All that to say, I have changed the way I approach the classes and my studies! I am spending more time on my weak areas and trying to use my time more wisely! (It's somewhat difficult sometimes and I'm pretty sure that I have ADD on the days that I NEED to study... Reading over PowerPoi .... Did you hear that noise? Hmm.. sounded like... ) <-- that sort of thing.
Soooo, I'm glad the block is over, I know what I need to work on and know things I need to change!
Other than that, not a whole lot has changed... Saba is still a big rock in the middle of nowhere and there isn't a lot to do here, but that's good for me because it cuts down on the distractions! Now, if only I could get rid of the stinkin roosters and goats! I am convinced they are possessed and are evil!
Today, I missed the commissioning service for the Ecuador Mission Trip Team! :( I'm soo sad I can't go back this year, but I have to keep reminding myself that in a few short years, I can go back on that trip as the Doctor and not the nurse. I'll be thinking about all my Ecuador family while they are down there in one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen... The Amazonian Jungle.
Well, it's 11:00 and I'm gonna review a little more then go to bed! (Been keeping up with the Hogs in their Super Regional game against Arizona St., but it's not looking good right now.)
Until next time... Woooooooo Pig Sooie!
Ohhhh... One more thing! Found out at the end of this week that we have bed bugs at Saba. Apparently its only the second time ever that they have had it here, but it just so happens to be in Hillside (the dorm complex I live in). Right now, its in Hillside 2 which is down the hill a short ways from our dorm... not connected. But we kinda flipped out and had a little cleaning party in our suite, so those dang things better stay away! Are you itching yet, just thinking about it?
Tips from a Teacher:
ReplyDeleteFigure out how you learn best. Come up with shortcut words, tricks, anything you can do kinesthetically will help you remember, but it is all about how your brain remembers. I learned this with my upper level science and math classes. I know you are probably like I was and didn't ever have to study until now. Well I use a lot of different techniques, re-reading stuff out loud, rewriting notes, flash cards (my fave). Just a few tips that I'm sure you have tried, but hope I can help! Keep your head up! Hope you don't get any bed bugs!