Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Shutter Island

Shutter Island is a suspenseful thriller based on an island off the coast of Boston in the 1950's. Teddy Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a U.S. Marshall that is sent to Shutter Island, a psychiatric prison, to investigate the sudden disappearance of one of the prisoners (or patients). As he and his partner, Chuck Aule (Mark Ruffalo) arrive on the island, they begin to see firsthand, the strange things happening on the island. Teddy's investigation leads him all over the islands, into deep, dark places that reveal the pieces of the puzzle about Shutter Island. Will Teddy and Chuck be able to make it off the island, or will it become their final resting place?

Wow! Martin Scorsese is a genius (he directed the film btw). He did a wonderful job on this movie. I really have no complaints about this movie. I am trying to rack my brain for anything that I didn't like, but I can't come up with any. While I was watching the movie, I had a few, but those were quickly answered before the movie was over. All of the holes that are usually left open in most movies, seemed to be answered and no stone was left unturned.

The script is well-written and DiCaprio does a great job of playing the main character in this film. You can really connect with him throughout the movie, and especially at the end when everything seems to fall apart.

When you think the movie is coming to a close and you have it all figured out, the plot takes a twist that I could not see coming. You are left with so many questions as to what is going on, but Scorsese does a good job in the following scene of answer those questions.

I give Shutter Island 5 stars out of 5! It is an awesome thriller. Its one of those scary movies that requires the viewer to actually think through the whole movie, rather than sit back and be scared to death. There was really only one jump-scene in that regard, but there were a few scenes that were slightly scary in nature. Definitely not a movie for the kids. And for those who are scared of scary movies... you may or may not like Shutter Island. I didn't find it to be all that scary, but some people might. I really wanted to talk my friends who don't like scary movies to come and watch and after seeing it, I am still undecided about whether they would like sitting through it or not.

If you like movies that make you think and aren't completely intimidated and afraid of slightly scary movies, you definitely have to see this movie. I don't think much would be lost in the DVD version, but I would recommend seeing it at the theaters so that you won't have to wait 4 months til the DVD release!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that Shutter Island is an excellent thriller. I knew the ending, mostly because of something dad says--if it's a thriller with an asylum, the main character is always insane, but I didn't know how every single thing Teddy figured out about the other characters were taken from his life.

    The ending was perfect. It's rare I can say that!

    ReplyDelete