Saturday, May 14, 2011

Tick Tock Tick Tock

I hear the clock counting down in my head. Only one more year on this island. Only 3 more semesters. Only 3 more months til I have a break. Only 2 more months til my parents and friend come visit. Only 1 more month til the first exams. Only 1 more day til another week of classes.

So far, Statia hasn't been a bad experience. I have enjoyed getting to know my classmates (and trying to remember everyone's name). I like my professors. And the school building... well, I guess this place isn't paradise! haha. I am getting settled in and my roommate should be here tomorrow afternoon to get settled in.

I don't feel terribly overwhelmed with the first week of school which is much more than I can say about the first DAY at Saba. After 1 day we all felt like we were behind.

The island here is different. Its MUCH flatter than Saba was, which is nice when you are trying to get somewhere, but its also not nice when you talk about temperatures. Saba was so high up that it caught a lot of the trade winds, so you would constantly have a 10-15 mph wind on Saba, but the wind isn't so strong or consistent here. Sometimes it blows, sometimes it doesn't. But it has been really hot and humid here lately.

Last night I went out with some guys from my class to Smoke Alley. Its a local restaurant that has some good food! I got the burger and it was pretty good. It wasn't very cheap, but it was good. About the time we got there, it started to rain and storms rolled in and I felt like I was back home in Arkansas! Thunder, lightning, heavy rain, flooding! Made me feel at home! (I have seen lightning like 2 other times down here, so it's not a common occurrence).

I've got a little of studying to do for Neuro, finish up some Micro and then review over Pharm and I'm good for the weekend. (Not having ANY classes on Friday, seems to help keep me sane too!)

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out where my parents and my friend can stay when they come down to visit in July. I've gotten some good feedback from several students, but I am gonna ask a few more before I decide where to tell them! I am DEFINITELY looking forward to seeing them because it cuts my semester almost in half! :)

Well, back to studying and then off to home (Don't have internet at home, so I study, surf the web while I'm on campus.)

Cheers! (Thats for all my Canadian friends!)

EDIT: Here are some pics of the island so far. (You can click on the pics to make them bigger)

This is the view of the Caribbean Sea from the front porch of my appt. 

Pic of my room after I got everything moved in. 

This is the classroom building... Definitely nothing special about it! haha

 If you look close enough, you can see that these cows are grazing on cemetery property... Can honestly say that I have NEVER seen that before in my life! 

Sunset I saw one night, while walking to school.

And this is a view from the school. Under that red roof there is the cafeteria. Looking out to the Caribbean Sea. (Other side of the island is the Atlantic Ocean).


4 comments:

  1. We had thunder and lightening here too last night! Glad to hear things are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok... I just updated it with some pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the pics! It's good to see some of the island & where you're living as well. We're excited to come see you...it won't be too long now! :)
    Love you, Dad & Mom

    ReplyDelete